Consulting Careers - What You Need to Know
Consulting roles are available across a wide variety of industries and functions. At its core, consulting is about leveraging data and insights to transform and innovate within organizations. Some key facts for consideration:
- Common College Majors: Consultants can have a variety of majors. They often possess strong quantitative skills as the work is often analytically rigorous.
- Types of Consulting: management consulting, industry-based consulting, human capital consulting, financial advisory services, internal consulting
- Key Industry Skills: Problem-solving, data analysis, presentation delivery, creative thinking, ability to think conceptually and practically
How MLT Can Launch Your Career
Within Career Prep, MLT provides dedicated programming for Fellows interested in consulting, including:
- Training for case studies, which are often used in consulting interviews
- Access to recruiters at top consulting firms
- Career clarity exercises to determine which firms and functions within consulting are a good fit for your career path
NOTE: If you think consulting is right for you, tell us why in the “Career Interests” section of your application. If you are not sure yet, you will have many opportunities to explore consulting throughout the general Career Prep program.
A Few Of Our Partners
Application Deadline: January 15, 2021
" MLT was perfect for filling the gaps in knowledge about consulting leftover from school. There's no major for being a consultant, but MLT provided me the chance to build a network and learn the communication skills and problem-solving techniques necessary to have a successful interview. In the end, I was hired by one of the firms who partnered with Career Prep! To this day, the network I found in MLT challenges me to become a better consultant and I couldn't be happier. "
Malachia Foard Consulting Analyst, Accenture
" I had always heard with an engineering background, you can do anything, but sometimes in a sea of engineers, that idea seemed to fade. MLT was a great program to make that statement a reality. MLT was able to show me more of what I could do with my degree. The assignments, sessions, and activities did a great job of giving me knowledge about how to do more with my degree. The skills I've picked up are so tangible and I foresee them being applied to any position I work in, whether it be technical or not! "
Austin McNair MBA Candidate, Northwestern University Kellogg School of Management. Former Consultant, EY-Parthenon